It might sound a little like a tasty green vegetable, but Aspergillus mold is the last thing you’ll want to ingest as the consequences can be hugely damaging indeed.
Aspergillus mold is one of the most common forms of fungi infestation that you are likely to find around the home. Unfortunately, it’s widespread nature doesn’t make it any less daunting, which is why you must learn to treat it in the very best manner. With the support of our guide behind you, making that happen should be relatively happy.
First Off, What Exactly Is Aspergillus Mold?
Aspergillus mold is a genus of fungi that includes hundreds of individual species. This classification of mold is one of the most common due to its versatility; it can grow in virtually any climate or environment, making it a nightmare for homeowners up and down the country.
Given the wide range of species, it’s unsurprising to learn that not all forms of Aspergillus mold are bad. In fact, some are even used for creating medicines. However, the strands that are considered to be pathogens are potentially very dangerous indeed.
As an aerobic fungus, Aspergillus mold is commonly found in areas with high oxygen levels, as well as those with high salt or sugar concentrations. This makes food a particularly prominent breeding ground for the mold with bread, cheeses, potatoes, and grains among the biggest culprits.
However, the old can also appear in environments without those factors. This can include various household surfaces ranging from brick walls to bathroom tiles and wood. Meanwhile, some forms of Aspergillus mold can grow on bed pillows and duvets.
There are many potential causes, with a lack of sunlight and dampness among the biggest contributing factors. When left untreated, it can grow at a worryingly rapid rate.
What Health Problems Can Be Caused By Aspergillus Mold?
Given that Aspergillus mold describes various forms of fungus, not all of the health problems are caused by all types of it. Nonetheless, there is no question that Aspergillus mold can lead to a wide range of conditions and issues, especially if you are exposed to it for a long time.
Some of the most common health problems that can be associated with Aspergillus mold include;
- Triggered asthma and allergies, including coughing and sneezing.
- Chest pains and joint pains.
- Organ failures including liver and kidney failures.
- Breathing difficulties.
- Whole body infections.
- Respiratory problems.
- Many more.
Ultimately, Aspergillus mold is most likely to cause damage by worsening the symptoms of existing health conditions, especially allergies and sinus-related problems. However, the dangers can affect anyone that is exposed to the harmful variants on a continuing basis. In fact, there is even a specific condition – Aspergillosis – which describes many of those symptoms. Sufferers may even lose weight, encounter headaches, and skin lesions.
When coupled with the fact that untreated bacteria will grow to leave the home looking particularly unpleasant, it’s clear that removing the Aspergillus mold should be top of the agenda.
So, What Does Aspergillus Mold Look Like?
Before removing the mold from your home, you must first learn to identify the bacteria at the earliest stage possible. Given that it is one of the most common types of fungus across the globe, you are probably very aware of its appearance.
The 16 types of toxic Aspergillus mold are quite varied. So, it would appear to be gray, bluish-green, reddish-brown, gold, yellowish-green, or black with either white or yellow under the surface. Essentially, if it’s any type of mold that you’d commonly expect to see on foods, surfaces, or throughout the home, there’s a good chance it is a form of Aspergillus mold.
When you do spot signs of Aspergillus mold, it’s vital that you act quickly. First and foremost, you may want to send the mold to lab testing to check it is this type. Once the results are back, you can take the next steps. When the infestation is significantly large, spreading throughout the home, you may require a professional touch. If it covers more than 10 meters, you are legally obliged to call a pro.
For smaller issues, though, the DIY approach will suffice.
How To Remove Aspergillus Mold Yourself
Getting rid of Aspergillus mold can be a fairly lengthy process, especially when you include the future prevention steps, but it’s imperative that you take control of the situation right away rather than letting things escalate. Follow the simple pointers below, and you won’t go far wrong:
Treating The Existing Mold
- Make sure you’re wearing the necessary safety clothing and items, including gloves and goggles.
- Remove any infested and decaying materials from the home. This can include food, upholstery, carpets, and household goods.
- Create a solution of three parts bleach with one part water and wipe all affected surfaces. Spray a household fungicide on any severely affected areas.
- Throw away the disposable cleaning materials that have been used.
Preventing Future Episodes
- Attend to plumbing faults or other problems that could be causing leaks.
- Invest in an air purifying unit as well as a dehumidifier.
- Check the temperature of the fridge to prevent foods from growing mold prematurely.
When you’ve completed the treatment and prevention process, you should find that the home looks cleaner while the air should feel noticeably cleaner. If you have noticed any of the linked health symptoms, they will fade – although they won’t necessarily vanish – very quickly.
The Final Word
Aspergillus mold is the most common type of mold, particularly in and around the home. It can surface on internal and external surfaces while the fact it produces mycotoxins can cause an array of health problems for all the family. So, just because it is common, this cannot be an excuse to overlook the need for a speedy solution.
The removal process is perfect for smaller infestations while calling the qualified experts is essential if it has spread throughout the property. Allowing the situation to worsen is simply not an option for any homeowner.